|Title:||Director of Communications and Marketing|
|Location:||St. Louis City|
This top-level Communications & Marketing executive will report to the President of our organization. The Communications & Marketing Director plans, implements and supervises all communications and marketing initiatives including, but not limited to: media relations, publicity, social media, websites, advertising and marketing projects to fulfill our mission of giving animals a second chance. This person supervises 6 professionals in marketing, communications, special events, sponsorships and volunteer management.
- Plans and executes, possibly in cooperation with an external public relations agency, annual schedule of media relations and public relations activities to highlight and educate the community and organization stakeholders about HSMO programs and services.
- Under supervision of the President, establishes strong working relationships with members of print and broadcast media. Responds to media inquiries and, when appropriate, initiates contact with media for feature and informational stories and programs. Designates spokespersons for media opportunities and serves as organization spokesperson when designated by President.
- Works closely with the Chief Development Officer and Development Team members to support all aspects of HSMO fund-raising initiatives.
- Supervises HSMO website content for multiple sites and social media content/responses.
- Prepares and/or edits media releases and alerts, responses to media inquiries, media kits, media section of website; provides media training and preparation to internal staff who act as organization spokespersons.
- Plans annual advertising schedule to promote the organization’s services and events and encourage donations and other support for the organization.
- Coordinates the production of collateral materials for the organization including TAILS Magazine, various brochures, flyers, posters, etc. Supervises writing and editing of print publications.
- Writes and edits correspondence regarding customer/donor appreciation or complaints and provides writing/editing consultation to other departments as requested.
- Works closely with Marketing Communications Manager to develop a variety of promotions and ensure continuity and appropriateness of message, theme, design, etc. in all digital and other communications media.
- Works with supervisor to prepare and maintain departmental budgets.
- In consultation with department supervisor, develops long range plans, goals and objectives for the public relations/marketing department.
- Maintains publicity, press release and photo, media clipping and audio files. Orders clips from monitoring service; compiles quarterly review of media clips for Board of Directors meeting.
- Works with vendors and contractors for internet, graphic design, public relations, advertising, photography, videography and other department related services.
- Provides at all times excellent internal and external customer service and serves as an example of such to others in the department and the organization.
- Remains available to respond to communications or other organizational needs during times of emergency or disaster.
- Creates crisis communication responses in coordination with other members of the HSMO Management team.
- At all times treats animals humanely with respect and concern and educates others about these values and the organization’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communication, or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of public relations and communications experience at a director or manager level, with a proven track record of success in building relationships internally, and externally with the media and an organization’s clientele.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and graphic design software.
- A positive and professional public image.
- A passion for the welfare of animals.