|Location:||St. Louis City|
Manages the organization’s volunteer program to augment, support and advance a variety of programs, services and events at the organization’s two St. Louis area centers and its Longmeadow Rescue Ranch in Union, Missouri. Also maintains an active volunteer corps to enhance the organization’s support and image throughout the community. Reports to Director of Communications and is a member of the HSMO Department Heads and Supervisory Team. Position requires regular, reimbursed travel between HSMO locations and regular weekend work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Is a member of the communications team, attends regular team meetings, and regularly meets, consults and communicates with and reports to Director of Communications to perform the following duties.
- Manages and maintains a customer service oriented volunteer program to support programs and services throughout the organization including, but not limited to, dog/cat exercise, enrichment and socialization; shelter and ranch animal care services; greeting; shelter support; humane education; behavior; animal foster program; gift shop; special events; development; disaster response, clerical/administrative services and special requests. HSMO volunteers also are expected to become, externally and internally, advocates, ambassadors and supporters of the organization. Volunteer manager is expected to train, encourage and promote this supportive attitude among volunteers. To complete these duties the volunteer manager:
- Recruits, through a variety of communications vehicles, competent, customer service-oriented groups of volunteers to perform the various duties entrusted to them.
- Performs appropriate screening of volunteer applicants to ensure suitability for the task to which they may be assigned.
- Develops and conducts a regular program of volunteer orientation, training and mentoring to ensure volunteers understand the organization’s mission and challenges, comply with safety policies and procedures, meet customer service standards and can competently perform the tasks assigned to them.
- Matches and assigns volunteers to desired and appropriate tasks throughout the organization.
- Ensures training, mentoring and oversight of volunteers by appropriate HSMO staff and/or senior volunteers to foster consistent, reliable, competent volunteer service.
- Assesses volunteer performance in consultation with Director of Communications and appropriate department manager and, when necessary and appropriate, tactfully terminates volunteer’s service.
- Provides motivational and recognition related activities and programs to retain successful volunteers, keep them engaged and energized, and reward their volunteer service.
- In coordination with Director of Communications, recruits, hires, supervises, evaluates the Volunteer Training Coordinator.
- Maintains, regularly updates and distributes the Volunteer Manual in accordance with organization policy and local, state and federal regulation. Maintains a direct connection with the Foster Program specialist to ensure programs are aligned and utilizing volunteers as needed.
- Prepares and manages annual volunteer budget.
- Maintains an up-to-date volunteer database and regularly provides volunteer reports to supervisor and other Management Team members as requested.
- Provides relevant continuing education and training opportunities for volunteers.
- Fosters open and positive communication among volunteers and between staff and volunteers and establishes and maintains strong, positive working relationships with volunteers.
- Develops and executes a volunteer communications program to ensure volunteers are kept up to date about organization activities and policies and training opportunities and receive reinforcement about the organization’s mission. Program should include a variety of communications methods and forms including in-person. Works in conjunction with digital marketing communication manager to keep volunteer content on website up to date and to provide social media and media stories related to volunteer work.
- Maintains volunteer workrooms/areas and stocks supplies.
- Establishes and maintains strong working relationships with department coworkers and all HSMO employees.
- At all times treats animals humanely with respect and concern and educates others about these values and the HSMO mission.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience:Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; and over three up to and including five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; Data Base Management software and Internet-based software.
Certificates and Licenses: Valid Driver's License
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly coordinates the activities of 400 to 500 active volunteers. Responsibilities include recruiting, selecting, training, assessing, motivating, rewarding volunteers; planning, assigning, and directing activities; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Hires and oversees the Volunteer Training Coordinator who, with appropriate shelter staff, coordinates the dog walking, kennel enrichment and other volunteer programs and performs data base management and entry and other volunteer recordkeeping and communications duties.